In the Fall of 1863 the Union Army occupied Knoxville, Tennessee. The most extensive defensive structure they constructed was an earthwork on a hill protecting the city from the west. It was dubbed Fort Sanders. Today, a residential neighborhood lies on that hill just north of the University of Tennessee. This book illuminates the role that hill played, both as a fortress and as a neighborhood, not only on Civil War history, but on the subsequent history of Knoxville. The co-authors are a married couple. Charles is professor emeritus in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Tennessee and the author of several books.
Knoxville: The University of Tennessee Press, 2020. 391 pages with an Index, References Cited, maps, and illustrations. Hardback with a pictorial cover.