Construction began in 1942 of a comprehensive Army hospital near Staunton, Virginia, on 650 acres of land, 394 of which were purchased from unwilling sellers through eminent domain proceedings. 135 brick buildings were erected including dorms, a brig, a theater, a chapel, a morgue and other facilities. Officially it was named for the U. S. President from Staunton, the Woodrow Wilson General Hospital. Local people called it “The Post.” It has evolved over the years in many ways, while retaining the Woodrow Wilson name, perhaps most importantly, with the inclusion of a high school and vocational school, but it still exists today as a civilian rehabilitation center. There is no longer a brig, but a bowling alley. Classrooms have replaced Officer’s Clubs. But it remains a place where a dedicated staff helps challenged individuals do the hard work of learning self-sufficiency. The author, Nancy Sorrells, edits not only the Augusta County Historical Society Journal but also the Virginia Native Plant Society Newsletter. She has been a research historian for three museums. Connie Doebele is the producer of American Forum on PBS and has worked for C-SPAN.
Staunton, Virginia: Augusta County Historical Society, 2016. 334 pages with a documentary DVD by Connie J. Doebele, and Index, Endnotes, and lots of photos. Oversized trade paperback